"Greed is good". This is the famous line by the character Gordon Gecko in the movie 'Wall Street'.
I don't say greed is good. But I would say desire is necessary.
And I would also say, contentedness will eventually stop progress in the world. And it would also not prepare you for the uncertainities of life, when you will need that something extra to handle the immediate necessities.
Imagine if everyone in the world were content with what they had. If the farmer was content with producing food grains sufficient for his family and did not want to produce more to sell for money.
If no one wanted to manufacture anything for others and were happy with what met their immediate needs. The world would not have progressed.
When man discovered how to make fire, imagine if he was just content by using it for keeping himself warm instead of thinking up other uses for fire.
There is a very thin line between desire and content and very often we need to cross this line to move forward in life. Without desire, man will never aspire.
Don't listen to what the wise men, philosopher and saints say about being content with what you have. Remember that 95% of such people are living off someone else's money and being fed by someone else.
So desire things in life, but don't be greedy. That is being contended. I want my 100% and am content with it. But if I want 150% then I am greedy.
No comments:
Post a Comment