Somehow my land-line number is associated with an AC service company. People who call me tell me that they got the number from JustDial. This has been going on for almost an year now. I have been wanting to call up JustDial and get this sorted out but somehow miss to do it one way or the other.
After a few times, I started to amuse myself with these calls. It gives me an opportunity to have fun talking to total strangers without the risk of revealing myself (so cheeky of me!). It helps me observe the telephone etiquette of people as well. Very few people who call me actually ask me if it is the AC service company first. The rest just start the conversation directly.
Here are some of the actual conversations that I've had with people in the last one year. So after I pick up the phone, people start off directly this way:
Instance #1:
Person on the other end: I want to service my AC. Can I get it done?
Me: Yeah, go ahead. No need to ask me for permission. It's your AC after all. By the way, it is the wrong number.
Instance #2:
Person on the other end: I have two window ACs and one split AC.
Me: Superb. Thanks for sharing this intimate fact. I have a couple of split ACs myself. By the way, it is the wrong number.
Instance #3:
Person on the other end: I need an AC service. When can you come?
Me: I can come anytime. But before that please call the AC mechanic also. I don't know how to open the AC. I am not a mechanic, sorry to say.
Instance #4:
Person on the other end: I live in Korattur. How much will you charge to come there?
Me: Just petrol charge. But why should I come there? I don't even know you.
Person on the other end: You do AC service right?
Me: You should have asked that first, right? Don't give your address to strangers.
Instance #5:
Person on the other end: My AC is not working for the last two days. Don't know what really happened.
Me: My sincere condolences for your AC. May God give you the strength to move on and bear this loss. Get another AC. Better still, get the right number for the AC mechanic.
Instance #6:
Person on the other end: Sir, I have a window AC but it is not giving sufficient cooling. What can I do?
Me: Get it serviced by a good AC mechanic.
Person on the other end: That's why I called you.
Me: I am sorry sir, but I am not a good mechanic. I am the worst. I passed the diploma by paying a bribe. So don't get it serviced by me. And don't tell what I said to anyone else. It will affect my business.
Instance #7:
Person on the other end: Sir, can you come this afternoon to service my AC?
Me: I can't.
Person on the other end: How about tomorrow?
Me: I cannot come at all.
Person on the other end: Why?
Me: Because I am not an AC mechanic.
Person on the other end: But Just-Dial shows your number only?
Me: I know they have a lot of trust in me, but they need to be practical also. I don't know how to service the AC. Please tell them that. Please tell them softly as they may break down due to emotion.
No comments:
Post a Comment